Saturday, September 10, 2011

Back home finally......

I went on a 2 week business trip to China and returned today.

I spent most of today travelling - to Guangzhou on a 2 hour domestic flight then on a 4 hour flight home on SQ. I am beginning to feel the pain of travelling during the day. It makes me feel idle because I don't like using my laptop in public places. I prefer to take an overnight flight to Shanghai or Beijing and connect on the first domestic flight to my final destination. I can sleep on the plane and I can maximize my day.

I still cannot accept the standard of hygiene in most of the public toilets in China, especially in government buildings like airports or train stations. There is no soap at the sinks which never fails to irk me. Of course, there are also places in Singapore which do not have hand soap in the toilets. Every time I have such an encounter, I feel uncomfortable until I can lay my hands on some hand soap. I was complaining about this to a friend. "How can people eat after they going to the toilet and not wash their hands with soap?", I asked. His reply was, "Why bother when the people who prepare the food don't wash their hands with soap too?". That really shut me up.

I also find that the food is oilier and saltier than what we can find at home. A lot of things take some getting used to. It is fortunate that I am pretty easy going when it comes to food. Of course that means that my waist line never gets smaller.

My trips always make me appreciate Singapore more when I return.

Xavier wants to use the PC now......till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment