Saturday, June 29, 2013

Random thoughts

A friend told me that I have this tendency to come up with random thoughts. I have never given it much thought but tried to do an inventory of my thoughts after I received that comment. I realize that I had to agree with him. I can be thinking of what I'm supposed to do in the afternoon but then the thought of lunch will come in. Yes, you may say that I'm probably trying to schedule my day. How about thinking about my facial appointment this afternoon and then about how much I need to go on vacation by myself? Again, you might say there is link.

I am a person who cannot manage lists. I can start a list but I never ever come back to that list. When I was dating someone many years ago, I was looking for what I thought then were things to spice up the relationship. I made up a list of things that we should do as a couple. I wrote it down and then we embarked on this journey to accomplish these tasks. Obviously we never completed the tasks on that list. I forgot about going back to the list and called off the relationship some time after for some other reason. When I look back today, 20 years on, my perspective on that relationship has totally changed. I can only use 2 words "So juvenile!!!!" on the me then.

Lego Supercar
I learned that I'm easily bored. I need to have a very clear objective or final goal to stay focused. And the objective has to be challenging. For example I can stay up the whole night to finish up a novel or to complete putting together Lego's Supercar (which I just found out to be a retired product!!!!). This now brings me to my next challenge of putting together Lego's Extreme Cruiser. I've put it off for a few months now. Time to get to work.



Challenging is when a lot of people say it's too hard or it's very unconventional. I like to be able to tell myself that I am better today than I was yesterday. The way I do that is to always do new things. Yes, yes, some people will say that I am a show off. I do not deny that. But I blatantly show off only to my pals and blame it on my Teochew genes! I would add a smiley behind this but I don't know how to do it yet. (How to show off like that?!?!?)

I lose interest unless the topic on hand is very intriguing. What fascinates me is even more random. I am intrigued by the cultural revolution in China, the thoughts of the Dalai Lama, the mafia in the US, army defence strategy, Lego, Mother Teresa, etc. I'm trying to illustrate the broadness of it all.

Why am I writing about random thoughts? I see a bit of myself in Xavier where this is concerned. Xavier is a very curious child. He can jump from one topic to another very quickly. He gets bored very easily. He can read a few pages of a book and give up on it if it doesn't grip him from the start. On the other hand, he can complete Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan in a few days. He devoured the entire 5 book series of Fablehaven by Brandon Mull in less than a month. He gave up on The Hobbit after less than a chapter. He didn't even start on The Hardy Boys but has completed all of The Famous Five. When he is into something, he gets into it in a big way. He will beg, plead, bug or manipulate his way into us buying the entire set in any series of books that he likes. Or he can eat otah for lunch and dinner for 5 consecutive days, only to give up after a tummy ache.

He saw me making an entry yesterday and asked me why I blogged. I told him that it is to leave something behind so that I can remember my thoughts years from now and for him to see my thoughts if he comes to the blog in future. He got all excited and wanted to update his blog but gave up after all of 5 minutes. That's my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment