Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Verbal diarrhea

Some time last month I read an article about celebrity bloggers. There was feedback on how some readers like the simple style of some bloggers who make their blog an easy read. There was complains about another blogger putting her journalistic skills so much into use that reading her blog is somewhat a chore.

I think I'm like that. I try to type in complete proper sentences and avoid Singlish vaguely like the plague. After all I'm blogging to practice my writing skills and leave something for my kids to read when I die. So I don't care if you think reading my blog is like reading a novel or a collection of short stories. If you don't like it, go away.

I'm not into Twitter and I'm not into Facebook or any of the other social networks available on the vast Internet. I'm not that sociable. I don't want to put photos of my children on my blog or on my seldom used Facebook. I have a phobia of paedophiles lurking in the wilderness of the Internet. A friend of mine, Matt, fears that he may have offended someone who might use his kids to threaten him. I'm bad, but I'm not that bad. Sorry Matt, had to take that blow below the belt.

This week I learnt a hard lesson. I remember when I was 12, my dad told me that when I grew up, I must make sure I take care of my brother. Growing up, I always remembered that. Little did I know that it was my brother who will one day take care of me and bail me out of a nasty situation. I went through something very humbling and through that, I learnt that blood is truly thicker than water. I will strive to teach my sons such that they will support each other when they grow up.

I also learnt that a true friend will always stay a true friend. I'm one of those extremely lazy people who never make any effort to stay in touch with friends. I'm always the last to reply to an email asking for confirmation to a gathering. I don't call, I don't sms, I don't email. There are only a small handful of people who accept me as I am. These are my friends who always care about me, even though I disappear from their lives for weeks, months or even years. When we meet up, it's like there's no distance between the days. I had the fortune of meeting up with a few good friends recently and I realize that our friendship is really genuine. I can still feel their care and concern. Thanks to the Beanie, Robin Hood, the Biker and the Pilot. You guys are best!

I was considering starting an anonymous blog to write my life story. One day I will write my life story. I don't want to be nameless except for the fact that I might embarrass my family members. I'll write my life story so that my kids can read and learn from my mistakes. I'll get to it when I do......

Quote for the day:
To make a mistake is part of life, to learn from it is a blessing, to ignore it is a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment