Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Kudos to new teaching methods for Chinese

Recently MM Lee sparked off a torrent of debate when he acknowledged that he may have made a bad choice by assuming that we can learn 2 languages at the same level.

Some parents agree that we should make some changes in the teaching methods, in order to make learning Chinese more fun and interesting. Someone wrote to The Straits Times to disagree.

I'm sure my friend Gabriel would support the move wholeheartedly. I remember he had a hard time learning Chinese in school. My own experience wasn't that bad. But I distinctly remember that I had a Chinese teacher Ms Chong who made learning Chinese during my Secondary 3 year very fun. She used some English to explain certain Chinese phrases and these stuck to me for life, although I don't use them often.

I had the initial fear when I was selecting a child care center for Xavier. I knew that I wasn't that proficient in Chinese as I was in English. So I have to depend on someone else to teach my sons proper Chinese. Fortunately I picked the right center and both Xavier and Keane can speak Chinese. At least they can understand what we say to them and can respond pretty well. I don't ask for them to be scholars in the language but at least be able to hold a decent conversation and read most Chinese words.

Recently, after my trips to Shanghai and much project work related to China, I find that my Chinese has improved with increased usage. I can actually type in Chinese (thanks to hanyu pinyin!) Isn't that way cool? Ok, maybe I'm bragging a little but coming from a convent school, I think I've done pretty well. My teachers would have been proud!

The key to learning is to be unabashed about acknowledging your ignorance. Ask questions, find out whatever you don't know. Hunger for knowledge is the key to knowledge itself. Pride can only bring about the downfall of any man no matter how intelligent he is.

I feel that we should inculcate this sense of hunger in our children. That is the way to education. Dishing out tons of information will not help as much as if they did the research and carry out their own quest for knowledge. I believe that this is a fact that is gaining more recognition among our present educators. I will try my best to inculcate this in my kids as well. Although I must admit that the flesh is most weak.

This Saturday is the school concert. Xavier is pretty excited. Keane has been throwing tantrums in school during rehearsals. He might be pulled out last minute if he is not cooperative on Saturday. I don't blame the teachers. I ask God to help Keane make it to the performance. The fella has not had as much exposure or opportunities as Xavier.

Xavier is the real epitome of precious first born (FBC) without any intent. It just happened naturally like I described in an earlier entry. I'm trying to change things moving forward. No point moping about the past.

Anyway, shall keep one and all posted of the concert.....wish them luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment