Thursday, June 23, 2011

Analysis of holiday

I made a few observations during our family holiday.

The crowd on a Monday was drastically lower than the crowd on a Sunday. I found that there were many Filipinos at the park on Sunday. I guessed they are mainly domestic helpers on their day off.

There were many Chinese nationals at the park on Sunday. We can see that the target crowd for the Hong Kong park is mainly Chinese nationals. The cast members spoke Mandarin to all Chinese. Most of them were more comfortable with Cantonese and Mandarin. Some of them were a bit uncomfortable with English.

Once the Disneyland park opens in Shanghai, I suspect the draw from the Hong Kong park will not be so great.

I saw relatively more Singaporeans on Monday than Sunday. You can tell from our accent. It is very obvious, even when we speak Mandarin. Being the last week of the school holiday, it was natural that the Singaporean crowd was smaller.

I saw virtually no Caucasians......I don't wonder why. I guess the park is relatively smaller compared to those in other parts of the world. You can cover it in one day.

I chose to stay in the Hollywood Hotel this time because of a few reasons:
1) The Disneyland Hotel was more expensive. At least HKD500 more per night, depending on the type of room you choose.
2) I heard that the Hollywood Hotel was more suitable for kids.

After the stay, I think I will choose Disneyland Hotel next time for these reasons:
1) The bathroom in the Hollywood Hotel was tiny.
2) The Hollywood Hotel was very crowded with tour groups.
3) There is a good Chinese restaurant in Disneyland Hotel where you can have ala carte meals.
4) There is a nice garden with a maze at Disneyland Hotel.
5) Disneyland Hotel is the first stop of the bus shuttle after the park so getting on is much easier.

Travelling with kids was a bit of a challenge, especially with 3 boys. Keeping them close was not easy. They like to run off on their own or to explore new places. I know it is natural but it is not really appreciated when we are on holiday!

I must admit that the holiday gave us an opportunity to bond as a family. I got to learn things about my kids that I never knew before, due to the lack of interaction.

Ryan likes to order food just because his brothers are doing so. He is very intelligent and this can sometimes be exasperating.

Keane seeks our attention a lot so we have to show our love more often. He is very good natured but seems to be bad tempered because he has difficulty expressing himself.

Xavier is matured most of the time and loves to be the leader. We tend to forget that he is still a kid and loves to play.

I am looking forward to our next holiday. If I can afford it, I would love to bring them to the Disneyland in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment