Thursday, June 23, 2011

Domestic helper - rest day or no rest day?

The International Labour Organization (ILO) recently adopted a convention listing standards aimed at improving working conditions of domestic workers. Singapore was one of the 63 nations which abstained from voting, citing the need to examine whether it was plausible to implement in Singapore, before any commitment.

This raised another wave of "talk" in the newspaper about rest days for domestic helpers. There are always 2 opposing views. Some try to draw a middle way.

There are many stories about maids "gone bad" after a long period of going off on regular rest days. Maids getting themselves pregnant, stealing from employers, prostituting themselves, amidst others. But there are good stories as well. Maids who go for classes, do volunteer work, participate in religious activities.

After experience with 7 different domestic helpers, I feel I have seen my fair share. I used to be cautious about giving domestic workers rest days for fear of the kind of activities they participate in.

Now I have come to realize that it is a reality I have to accept. My latest domestic helper will have one off day a month after she pays off her loan which takes about 6 months to clear. All humans need to have the basic feeling of freedom. To be cooped up at home or with the family the whole day can be tough. It is even more trying with 3 boisterous boys. We all need a break from our daily routine to keep ourselves sane.

My previous helper who worked for us for 6 years did not have any off day. She didn't complain because she gets to go out on Saturdays and Sundays with the family. She prefers not to spend any money going out on her own. I think that is a smart choice. Her focus is to come here to earn sufficient money to build her business back home and to go home with savings.

I have heard of maids who spend half their salaries on phone cards. I personally think that is a ridiculous thing to do. My new helper asked me if she could buy a phone after she has enough savings. I agreed but I laid out some rules. No talking during work hours. No excessive talking at night such that she does not have enough energy the next day. I need her to be alert during the day, for the safety of my kids and herself. I don't think that it is unfair. The helper before her used to walk around with a ear piece while she is working. I got really upset because I don't know where her focus is. I don't think it's fair for the employer if the employee doesn't give her full concentration at work.

I don't demand my worker to work excessively. She wakes up at 6am and I ask her to sleep by 10pm the latest. She can sleep earlier if they complete the basic household chores. There is not much household chores to do if she does it regularly and not accumulate a backlog. The first 2 weeks are always the toughest. She has to adapt to a new environment and routine as well as clear the backlog that accumulated due to a lack of helper for almost 2 months. If I look back, the previous helpers were able to relax pretty much during the day after they go into a routine. They could talk on the phone or watch TV programs during the day.

We don't expect a robot but we need to feel that we are being treated fairly as well. That our home is clean and our kids are taken care of. We are not fussy about the work that needs to be done or how it should be done. We believe in giving the basic guidelines and minimum requirements. The helper can take her initiative to arrange her own schedule as long as she gets the kids ready for school in the morning, feed them when they come home, shower them when it is time to and get them ready for bed. She spends about 6 hours with them daily. It's not 100% staying by them for the full 6 hours. The boys are independent enough to keep themselves occupied with toys and books. They know how to look for her to get help or food.

I hope that when she starts to go on her rest days, she does not mix with the wrong company. If she can find friends, it is well and good. I also look forward to spending a day with my kids alone without the helper. It really makes bonding much easier. It makes us less reliant on the helper as well. If she is responsible and mature, I don't mind giving her one off day per week. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment