Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Disneyland Day 1

I am now at home. It is almost 7am. I'm still feeling dehydrated. A much needed 8 hour sleep didn't really help me get over the fatigue yet. I would have posted my entries for Disneyland daily if not for the fact that IE9 does not allow me to do that. I was not encouraged to I decided to wait till I get home before I made any more posts.

The 2 days we spent in the Disneyland park went by pretty quickly. The kids had a great time and didn't want to go home. Let me try to recall what happened during our holiday.

Sunday was the first day we spent in the park. We took a shuttle from the hotel to the park and was surprised to see many queues. Then I realized that the park didn't open until 10am. To think that I thought we were late. Fortunately it was only a 15 minute wait in the sun for us.

Once we entered the park, we joined another queue to take a photo with Mickey and Minnie. It then dawned on me that the day would be filled with queues in the sun.

Keane wanted to take photos with Donald and Daisy but nobody else wanted to queue with him. So I queued with him and the rest went to the animation studio which was air-conditioned. Fortunately the queue for the ducks was shorter! Then it was off to the rides.

We grabbed a sandwich at Market House Bakery before we moved on.

Tarzan's Treehouse in Adventureland:
It was quite uneventful. I felt that the path was very narrow, making it very difficult to take photographs at the spots where they had statues. Xavier was a bit afraid coming down the stairs because he could see the water below. I had to encourage him to keep moving without looking down. Keane was the bravest and went down on his own. I had to remind him to move slower!

The kids had brunch at the Tahitian Terrace in Adventureland. It turned out to be barely palatable. The non-spicy version of Penang laksa which Xavier ordered was poorly prepared. The bean sprouts were half cooked and it was a challenge to pick them out from the noodles. There were a lot of bean sprouts in there. Keane's Hainanese chicken rice was normal, nothing to rave about.

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in Tomorrowland:
We didn't know what we were queuing for. Nearer the start of the ride, we were relieved that it was not a 4D show. I remember the Shrek 4D show in Universal Studio freaked Keane and Xavier out. We had to go in separate cars because each car could take only 2. Hubby and Keane went ahead. Xavier was alone as I needed to watch Ryan. Xavier was afraid in the beginning. I told him that it was a game and he warmed up to it. I could see that Keane was frightened and his daddy was hugging him all the way. Ryan took to the game like fish to water. He even kept reminding me to shoot at the aliens!

Cinderella Carousel in Fantasyland:
This was the safest ride of all. Only Keane went on a horse. The other 2 preferred to sit in the chariot or carriage, whatever you call the seats.

We had tea break at the Royal Banquet Hall. It was a tight squeeze because half the hall was cordoned off for an event. We managed to get a table with 3 chairs and hurried through a lunch of sushi for the kids.

It's a Small World in Fantasyland:
This was the ride that the kids enjoyed the most on the first day. It was harmless, uneventful and interesting for the children. They loved trying to identify the animals they could recognize from the display.

We missed Dumbo the Flying Elephant and Autopia because of the long queue. We caught a glimpse of Lightning McQueen but was told that there was a quota for photo taking and we missed it. I made it a point to remember the time of the shows for the next day.

That's all we did on Day 1! It was too hot for us to bear. We headed back to the hotel at about 3pm and rested.

We then made our way to the Chinese restaurant in Disneyland hotel for dinner. It turned out to be much better than what we had on the first night in the Studio Lounge of Hollywood hotel. We took a walk in the Enchanted Garden in the hotel grounds. The kids had fun in the maze.

It was then back to the room for the fireworks show followed by endless games on the iPad and iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment