Monday, October 10, 2011

Food for thought

I'm trying to cut down my food intake in a futile attempt to lose weight. It's definitely very hard.

Food is a big feature in our lives. A good breakfast heralds a good day ahead. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee will stir the cogs of one's mind. The golden and runny yolk of an egg is a gentle reminder that the simplest thing in life can be very fulfilling.

Lunch is often a well thought plan where I work. A group of us will take turns to nominate the day's craving. The troop never fails to have a good lunch. It's not just the food. The camaraderie makes the whole affair worth the trip, the wait and the suspense for your order to turn up all the more bearable. Gossip, jokes and idle chit chat are the important fillers toward an enjoyable lunch.

Dinner is the highlight of my day. It's when I get a chance to sit down with hubby, and sometimes the kids, for a meal. It's usually when family catch up, asking about each other's day and highlights. Companionable silence while you eat your food at the end of a disastrous day is a sure way to soothe your nerves. The comforting presence of your family speaks volumes.

Now you can see how hard it is to reduce my food intake. It sounds like a lame excuse, but I find it hard to deprive myself of the joy of eating with someone. The amount of food I eat increases with the amount of fun I'm having.

I conclude that the best way to diet is to eat alone. For me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment